Healthy Happy Veggie Nuggets
Active: 45 min
Total: 2 hr 35 min, plus chilling
Makes: About 30
We’ve had a bunch of Boot Campers ask for this recipe so I thought I’d post it here for everyone to enjoy 😉 I first experienced these delightful nuggets in Chef Jerry Boucher’s Healthy Cooking Class. These delicious guys are easy to make, freezable for easy access & packed full of protein & fiber! They are family friendly & the perfect snack or meal!
2 medium yams
8 oz frozen or fresh cauliflower thawed and patted dry
1 (10-oz) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 cup finely grated Parmesan, divided
4 eggs, divided
2¼ cups panko bread crumbs, divided
1 tsp kosher salt
¾ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp cayenne (optional)
+ Ketchup or honey mustard, for dipping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake whole, unpeeled yams until very tender, about 1 hour, 20 minutes. Refrigerate until cold.
- Peel yams and mash flesh in a large bowl until smooth. Pulse cauliflower and spinach in a food processor until finely chopped. Stir mixture into mashed yams, along with ½ cup Parmesan, 1 egg, ¾ cup panko, salt, garlic powder, and cayenne, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Beat remaining 3 eggs in a medium bowl. Toss remaining 1½ cups panko with remaining ½ cup Parmesan on a large, shallow plate or pie plate.
- Using slightly dampened hands, form veggie mixture into 1-inch balls and flatten slightly into oblong nuggets. Place nuggets on a plate in a single layer (you can transfer filled plates to refrigerator as you work). Gently dip one nugget at a time into egg, letting excess drip off, then dredge in panko mixture on both sides. Place finished nuggets on baking sheets.
- Bake, flipping nuggets once, until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Serve with ketchup, barbecue sauce, or honey mustard for dipping.
Happy Healthy Clean Eating! Enjoy!