It’s after dinner and you are watching your favorite television show when a little voice starts telling you that you absolutely MUST have something sweet. Or maybe you’re craving something salty. Either way, once the urge enters our brains it seems almost impossible to be rid of it until the craving has been satisfied! It’s so persistent; it’s as if it sends a signal to your tummy to start grumbling…just waiting for ice cream or potato chips. But when we are eating clean, it’s so important to master these urges and find healthier ways to ‘indulge’.
Not to be limited to just after a meal, we get these cravings when we’re stressed, when we want to celebrate…yes, pretty much any time of the day. Instead of eating processed sugars, try these options:
– Frozen Fruit: eat a few frozen chunks of mango, strawberry, or bananas and it will feel like you are cheating! It really is not much different from sorbetto…plus there are no added sugars and you are getting your serving of fruit!
– Protein Shakes: get a high quality protein and make a delicious smoothie out of it: just add some ice, berries, cinnamon, and a splash of light soy milk for a creamy, ‘sweet’ concoction.
– Greek Yogurt and Berries: Greek yogurt is more dense than regular yogurt and will fill you up. Add the berries for all their great nutritional qualities and an added sweetness!
– Unsweetened Apple Sauce: sprinkle on some cinnamon for a healthy treat!
THE URGE FOR SALT
We often remind you of the importance of watching your sodium intake. However, sometimes we just want something salty…but instead of opening that bag of potato chips, try these options:
– Hummus and Pita Chips: try making the hummus yourself to eliminate any processed ingredients.
– Salsa: add it to your egg-white breakfast wrap, fajitas, or brown rice bowls for extra flavor. Or have some with organic blue corn chips – but watch your portions!
– Unsalted Nuts: a little handful of almonds, walnuts, and cashews will help – they may be unsalted but somehow they do the trick!
– Clean protein bar or granola (Check the label for toxic oils & chemicals)
– Veggie cheese or 2% cheese: sprinkle on your salad or a wrap for an added ‘salty’ taste
The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook” by Tosca Reno has a whole ‘dessert’ section with recipes for clean-eating treats. Or, do what I do and browse on the web for healthy recipes posted by other clean-eaters. You will be amazed to see how many people blog about their favorite healthy dessert recipes!
MASTER THE MIND
At least when it comes to cravings! It’s important to realize that most of our cravings are nothing more than what our mind tells us they are. If we are battling an urge, even after trying a healthy alternative:
– drink lots of water
– socialize with a good friend or loved one
– write your feelings down in your food journal
BE A CHEATER, ONCE A WEEK!
An exciting part about maintaining a clean-eating lifestyle, is that you can indulge in a ‘cheat’ meal once a week. Not only will you be able to satisfy your food cravings, you are giving your body a little extra energy for your workouts the following week. For those of you who are just starting a clean-eating diet, you may need a cheat meal twice a week. But once you are on track, you will feel satisfied with one a week! Just remember to set a 1-hour time limit – no buffet benders!
We hope this gives you enough ideas to battle those urges – we know first-hand that it’s not always easy which is why we’re here to offer advice! Just keep your goals in mind…once you start feeling your body getting leaner and stronger, you will be that much more motivated to keep eating clean!
We would love to hear how you battle your cravings! Please submit your ideas below!
PS- Our next 4 week Boot Camp begins THIS MONDAY August 11th. We provide essential tools such as nutrition components & work one-on-one with you to ensure maximal total body results for long term success!
Take advantage of our Summer Punch Card special- 10% for a limited time! Visit: https://totalbodyresults.com/punch-card/